“My company in an e-book” has been recognised as a best practice example by the Italian Ministry of Education and is included in the 'Indire GOLD' database. The learning path is documented in a website which shows the experience; this has been visited by several teachers who have in turn used it with their own students. In addition, it has been selected as a finalist for the Global Junior Challenge 2012 (under 15 category).
The project is in line with the advice contained in the 'Guidelines for secondary school reform' (Italy, 2010). Both documents refer to the Recommendation of the European Parliament and the European Council on the 'Key competences for lifelong learning'. It can also effectively contribute to achievement of one of the most significant competences to be acquired in the first 2 years of a business high school: 'Getting to know the essential features of the socio-economic system, in order to be able to understand the local economic context'. It contributes to subjects such as Business, Economics and Career Education.
Benefits for students
Using this method, the students can:
- Develop self-organisation and coordination skills, the ability to cope with new situations and solve problems that are not easy to foresee
- Gain in-depth knowledge of a local company which is fully operational, by breathing its atmosphere and observing the dedication, the effort and the determination with which the adults who work there carry out their job in dynamic markets where the ability to predict and a proactive attitude are often the key to success
- Understand from first-hand experience how companies have to set themselves clear goals, that workers need to take different roles and must be able to achieve their specified responsibilities as well as refer to others regarding the task they have to carry out
- Recognise the importance of using safe procedures to file, store and easily retrieve the material they produce
- Enhance their presentation skills in the final event when their product is delivered to the client.